The Tomkins Institute Basic Study Group is designed to present Tomkins theory in a systematic and structured way. Tomkins’s own writings are read alongside commentary by people who have applied the theory in therapeutic and other settings. The material for this course was developed in 1999 and it has been taught continuously since then among small groups the world over. This is the first time this course is being made available online.
The main activities of the course include
- Reading the assigned readings (Readings for each lesson are estimated to take 3 hours)
- Attending the monthly discussion session for each lesson (Each session lasts 2 hours and uses Zoom as a virtual classroom)
- Writing a short reflection after each discussion session (This can be as short or as long as the learner wishes).
Because it is important that each learner be actively engaged in all discussions, this course is limited to 10 participants.
To participate in this study group will be expected to purchase threebooks:
- Affect Imagery and Consciousness (AIC) by Silvan Tomkins
- Exploring Affect (EA) by Virginia Demos
- Shame and Pride: Affect, Sex, and the Birth of the Self (S&P) by Donald L. Nathanson
Continuing Education Credits:
Continuing education credits are available, though an additional fee is required.